dinsdag 5 februari 2013

Unpinned: Molasses Crinkles


A few weeks ago it was a perfect bake-some-cookies-day. A grey Sunday afternoon is perfect for baking!
This recipe was burning in my eyes for a few weeks because I had a jar of molassas sitting in my cupboard for ages. I had to do something with it! I really like molassas, but I do not like it to sweeten my bread or coffee. It needs to be used as an ingredient. I like gingerbread cookies, but find making them time consuming, so finding the Molassas Crinkle Cookies was a win-win situation.


I kid you not. These are evil cookies. Absolutely delicious. Way to tempting. Munchy crunchy spicy. They were absolutely perfect!
The taste is something you like or not. Big Man decided he did not care for these cookies. Little Man was undecided and Little Lady also did not like them. "Unfortunately" this meant there were lots of cookies for me!


The recipe itself is perfect, the only thing I would change is the amount of sugar used for dipping the cookie balls in before you bake them. It is a lot! You can easily get away with 1/4-1/3 cup of sugar.

Molassas Crinkles (Culinary concoctions by Peabody)
(In metric)

150 grams granulated sugar, plus 100 grams for dipping (I recommend to use less, start with 50 grams)
281 grams all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground allspice
170 grams unsalted butter, softened but still cool (I use plantbased margarine)
 63 grams packed brown sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
155 grams light or dark molasses (available at a whole foods store)

Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius
Whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and spices in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined; set aside.
In another bowl, beat butter and with brown and granulated sugar till light, creamy and fluffy. Add yolk and vanilla and beat till it is incorporated. Add molassas and mix till it is all incorporated (it will be a beige brown mixture). Add flour mixture slowly and mix till it is just all combined. With a spatula, check underneath the dough if all flour is incorporated. Give it a last stir. Dough is soft and a bit sticky. Take a tablespoon and make balls with tablespoons full of dough. Roll them nice and round with your hands (quickly!) and dip them in the remaining sugar. Place balls on a baking tin lined with parchment and bake them in the oven for about 11-13 minutes. I like them crunchy so I baked them for 13 minutes. Remove cookies after baking and let them cool on a wire rack.
Makes 25 cookies

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

I would love it if you leave a comment! Thank you so much for visiting xXx