vrijdag 2 mei 2014

Potty Training 2.0


After contemplating the idea and seeing howmrs K was doing (on and off the toilet, some days good, some days bad) we decided it was time. It has to happen some time! Time to get out of those nappies!
I postponed it out of reluctance/laziness, just didn't want to deal with nagging every hour if she needed to pee or change clothes for the umptieth time in one day.

Na wat heen en weer denken en de ervaring van hoe de kleine dame het de afgelopen maanden deed (op en af op de wc) besloten we dat het tijd was. Het moet ooit eens een keer gebeuren. Tijd om uit de luiers te gaan!
Ik heb het enorm uitgesteld, gewoon luiheid en geen zin, ik had geen zin in ieder uur zeuren en controleren of ze moest plassen of voor de zoveelste keer schone kleren aan.

I kicked myself in the butt and decided this May vacation would be the perfect time to start potty training miss K.
I think I didn't want to start it because the last time (Potty Training the beta version) I had to juggle a baby and a toddler and that was no fun at all! Lots of pee and poop pants. And a crying baby when I had to clean up mr. G. Me getting frustrated that mr G would not go to the loo when he needed. And having no experience at all (everyone in my friend circle only had babies around that time, so noone could tell me what to do!)

Maar ik ga mezelf een schop onder mijn kont en vond de Meivakantie de perfecte tijd om er eens goed aandacht aan te besteden: De Zindelijkheidstraining.
Ik denk dat ik er zo tegenop zag vanwege Zindelijkheidstraining in de beta versie omdat ik toen een peuter en een baby had om te verzorgen. O wat een frustraties waren dat. Niet leuk. Heel veel natte poep en plas broeken. En een huilende baby als ik de meneer moest schoonmaken. En ik had totaal geen ervaring, maar ook geen ervaring om mij heen omdat toen de vrienden in mijn omgeving allemaal in de babies zaten. Nog geen enkele peuter te bekennen, behalve die van mij.

It's a lot different now with an independent 6 year old and a toddler, way more relaxed!

Nu is het toch andere koek met een zelfstandige 6jarige en een peuter, heel veel relaxter!
 
The only thing I now do different is that for the coming weeks she is still going to wear paper nappies (no dirty clothes) and put her on the toilet every hour.
This is the second day that she is staying dry, except for a no. 2. (and a missed pee because she was spending time outside trying to practice riding with her bike)

Het enige dat ik nu anders doe is dat ik de komende weken nog heel even een papieren luier om doe (geen vieze kleren!) en haar ieder uur probeer op de wc te zetten.
Dit is de tweede dag dat ze (bijna) helemaal droog is gebleven, behalve voor een grote boodschap (helaas 1 plasje gemist omdat ze heel hard aan het oefenen was op haar fiets).

The last step with mr G is that he also wanted to do no.2 on the toilet so I think she is doing great! In a week or so I am going to let her carefully decide for herself (she thinks that I am nagging her butt off, sometimes she is really reluctant to go and whimpers and yells) and we'll see!

De laatste stap met de meneer was dat juist die grote boodschappen de lastigste waren om op het toilet te doen. Ik weet niet wat het was. Ik hoop dat de mevrouw het wel gaat lukken over een tijdje, maar voor nu doet ze het super! Over een weekje ga ik wat meer rekken met de tijd tussen de plasjes en dan mag ze het over een tijdje zelf beslissen (ze vindt het verschrikkelijk soms dat ik achter haar aan loop dat ze moet gaan plassen, soms wordt ze echt boos!).

Any tips on getting her to go for a no. 2 to the toilet are greatly appreciated! I know I have just started but if there is anything I should know before getting there, I would love to hear it!
Heeft iemand nog tips om de grote boodschap in het toilet te krijgen? Handigheidjes? Ik weet dat we pas net begonnen zijn maar als er iets is wat ik nu al kan sturen zou ik het heel graag willen weten!

xXx 
Barbara

2 opmerkingen:

  1. I never wanted to "push" or "do" my child do something. I just let it go. It was a long time ago. At home, I put a potty, with on one side a small roll of toilet paper in a nice box (a cardboard box covered in a flowery paper) and on the other side of this potty a small box with some children book and plastic toys. I left that on a rug, just in front of the "adult toilets" and told her / him that was their "little toilets". I put them not nappies but those "nappy briefs", that they can put on/off alone... and that prevents small wetty incidents. I never "congratulated" them too strongly, I didn't want to "over-do" it, if something was left in the potty, that was just a "oh that's fine you used your toilet" or sth like that... it seemed to work rather well. No rewards or anything for that, i didn't want to make pressure on them. well that one way to do certainly there are other good ways to do it... for my 2 it worked. good luck for this step ;o)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. I completely agree with you, no pushing, no rewards. I am trying to gently adjust her to going nappy free :) Your idea of the toys and books is a great idea, will definately try it!

      Verwijderen

I would love it if you leave a comment! Thank you so much for visiting xXx